Monday, February 21, 2011

Gardening and other "stuff"

Today I'm playing "catch-up"....on a few chores AND on my posting!   Remember a few days...okay, it was more than a week...ago when I shared that I had been doing some indoor gardening?  That has been (and will continue to be) an ongoing process.   It all started with this.... 
.....the Christmas cactus that has accompanied us on all of our travels the past ten years.  It is what is left from a plant that had been my un-met mother-in-law's (unfortunately, she died even before Willie and I had met).  I had been wanting to start some cuttings for some of the kids....one such attempt had failed miserably, but in the past couple of months one cutting had taken root and actually produced new growth. 
 I transplanted it and put another section into yet another pot...
Let's hope it does as well!

Encouraged by one success, I brought in my snow-covered chives from the back deck....after thawing out, they looked a little bedraggled!
A week later....
Oh, I'm believin' that spring might actually be on it's way!

I thought....wow....I'm on a roll here, so let's get on with some more of this planting stuff.

And now we are making plans for our "square foot" garden (actually, we are going to do six square foot sections)....so I got busy and started the spinach and swiss chard. 

 I'm hoping they like that nice sunny windowsill!

Oh...remember those chives?  They look like this now!
We haven't only been urban farmers this week....we've been busy with other projects as well....
 
My wonderful hubby got the bluebird house put up and actually made one from the pattern he made from this one, a gift from some new friends.  I think he could get "hooked" on making birdhouses....maybe a good winter-time anti-boredom activity for him?

He also made a holder for my scrapbooking ribbon collection....I came with a basic design for him, and look what I got!  
 I love it....the spindles slide right out with no problem, but lock in place.  No more searching through bags of ribbon to find the one I want!

Lest you think that my little stint of indoor gardening was all that I did around here, let me assure it was NOT!  The ole sewing machine was out for quite a spell, and I was working on those pillows that had been begging to be finished for some time.



Phew....one project down....now to get to some of the other things I want to do to make our living room seem a little more "ours".

And for those of you keeping up our "goings-on", we did make that trip on Friday to Asheville, NC and the Biltmore Estate, but you'll have to check back later for more on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment