This was the appointed time to make the promised trip to Grandfather Mountain with the SOWERS who are volunteering at Doe River Gorge this month. It looked like it was going to be a great day for our adventure, so after meeting up at DRG, we headed over into North Carolina and headed for Grandfather Mountain. Beautiful sunny skies, pleasant temperatures and great company. First off, we headed for the bridge, and were we ever glad we did! When we first got there, as we headed across the bridge and walked the ridge on the other side, one side was a clear view...but the other side was socked in with fog!
But it wasn't long until the fog came rolling across to the other side!
And pretty soon it was all socked in, but not before we got to share some of the gorgeous views in this part of the country. And as always, the wild flowers grab my attention...
A little man-made, but pretty waterfall...
And Carolina, one of the bears in the wildlife habitat...
While the rest of the gang was in the Fudge Shop (and, yes. I am just a tad bit jealous), I consoled myself with the wildflowers outside..
I don't think I've ever seen a bug just like this one...guess I'll have to Google it!
Unlike our hummingbirds who don't seem to like to share, these two bumblebees had no problem!
I love this one...the lower bumblebee has pollen on this leg and the upper one is diving in headfirst to get his share.
And then along came this butterfly...
On the next part of our day...a ride through the country to the end of the road (literally) before we started a short walk to the top of the falls
Elk River Falls is impressive even when it is not running as heavy as normal...but things don't always have to be the same to be beautiful!
A few of our group opted to not make the trek down and they waved encouragement to the rest of us!A nice young lady offered to take our photo at the bottom of the falls...

And so another good day is done!







No comments:
Post a Comment